Believing strongly that attachment theory provides the deepest understanding of love and relationships, I achieved certification in Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) for Couples*, which emphasizes the most therapeutic and effective aspects of being:
- Non-Blaming: in sessions, we focus on how each person reacts to cues from the other and how this interaction can get hi-jacked by past events, misinterpretations, assumptions, and defense mechanisms; no one person is ever to blame.
- Non-Shaming: we also strive to deeply understand and validate the emotional drivers of peoples’ behaviors holding firmly to the belief that we are all trying our best to deal with really difficult situations and feelings.
- Client-Centered: we move at the pace in which each partner is willing and able; there are little to no prescriptive rules, agenda, skills, or dialogs.
- Personal & Interpersonal: the process helps each person understand her or his own personal relationship pattern and how that interacts with others’.
- Experiential: EFT uses exploration of the hardest moments we face with our loved ones to then encourage expressions of our deepest longings, worries, and needs.
- About Real Change: EFT aims to create change at the core level of our beliefs about ourselves and others making intimacy safer, freer, and more open to the deep connections we all crave.
- Courageous: the aim is to grow the strength of your bond so that it can handle whatever life throws your way by dealing openly with all that is there now.
Rounding out my knowledge about what can get in the way of truly loving connections, I have training and experience in the following:
- Using Imago dialog and other interpersonal skills
- Anxiety disorders that affect couples such as hoarding and trauma
- Verbal abuse and anger
- Reviving intimacy in low/no sex relationships
- Recovering from infidelity (emotional and/or physical affairs)
- Bi-cultural relationships
- Porn addiction
- Conflict resolution (certification as a General Civil Mediator)
*”Couples” counseling is intended to include marital and premarital counseling as well as LGBTQ, kink, and polyamorous relationship counseling. For more information, please check out the FAQs of Couples Counseling.
back to SERVICES